Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Aldous Huxley Appreciation Thread
PROBLEMS TO REGISTER? CAN'T POST? - PLEASE EMAIL US HERE!!

THIS IS AN EDUCATIONAL COMMUNITY BASED SUPPORT FORUM FOR HARM MINIMIZATION ONLY. NO SOURCING, DEALING OR UNLICENSED VENDOR LINKS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aldous Huxley Appreciation Thread

Thanks

Default Aldous Huxley Appreciation Thread

Aldous Huxley is one of the twentieth centuries most under recognized literary figures and philosophers. He penned 'The Doors Of Perception' and 'Heaven and Hell' and was the first true psychedelic traveler, well before the likes of Timothy Leary.

Aside from his own psychedelic experiences he offers a psychedelic experience that this quote captures so well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidney M. Jourard: The Transparent Self
    "Elsewhere I have said that a powerful psychedelic event, which does not have the side effects of marijuana or LSD, is an encounter with a perspective, a consciousness more evolved than one's own. The experience of a more fully grown person, if effectively disclosed to a receptive person, will enliven and expand the world of the recipient."

"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all it's aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up the next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise"
    Aldous Huxley
    "A fanatic is a man who consciously over compensates a secret doubt"

Thanks

He went to the best school there is: He was an Old Etonian

Last edited by Mona Lisa; 10-27-2009 at 08:10 AM.

Thanks

Last edited by Pandy; 10-27-2009 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks

This is just it. Eton didn't and doesn't just produce annoying toffs (though it does admittedly produce a few).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mona Lisa View Post
    This is just it. Eton didn't and doesn't just produce annoying toffs (though it does admittedly produce a few).
    He'd probably be the first and the last Etonian to suggest that psychedelic drug use can be a good thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pandy View Post
    He'd probably be the first and the last Etonian to suggest that psychedelic drug use can be a good thing.
    You'd be surprised.

But I'd agree that as such people are at the top of the tree, they don't generally perceive life as such a struggle as we ordinary plebes do. They thus feel less of an urgency to escape. When they do take drugs, it's more likely the likes of coke or H, and rather intriguingly, ketamine (in more recent times).
    Last edited by Mona Lisa; 10-28-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks

I picked up a copy of the Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell while out in Australia a while back - at the time I've got to say I was underwhelmed - baffled by some of the art references he gives (at length ) and didn't think I'd get far into it.
    Luckily for me a 20 hour greyhound bus ensured I had plenty of time to kill so I gave it another chance, and to suprise became totally drawn into it, I loved it once I stopped being lazy.

Thanks

Huxley is a hard read. The language he uses can make for hard going. My first Huxley was Brave New World... had to re-read page after page just to get it sometimes. Found it much easier to listen to him, watch his interviews and audio tapes.

Thanks

this guy sounds amazing ! i think i might like his books

another good read is helter skelter ........i think some might like that book !
    i did also read it on a greyhound it also has pictures for all of drop outs
    ~~~ cRawLing To HeLL WiTh sOme WhisKy And A bLuNt ~~~it's dark and hell is hot

Thanks

Default Aldous Huxley

This guy is basically the modern grandfather of psychedelics... before Albert Hoffman or Timothy Leary even.

Aleister Crowley holds #1 however, as he documented and experimented with the effects and influence of magic mushrooms and mescaline before most other Europeans during the time. Huxley actually was influenced by Aleister Crowley for most of his early psychedelic experiences.

Nice little tidbit of info I thought you may like you know.
    All things in moderation...