PROBLEMS TO REGISTER? CAN'T POST? - PLEASE EMAIL US HERE!!

THIS IS AN EDUCATIONAL COMMUNITY BASED SUPPORT FORUM FOR HARM MINIMIZATION ONLY. NO SOURCING, DEALING OR UNLICENSED VENDOR LINKS.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Human Desire to Get High (Psychology, Drug use and Mental Health)

Thanks

Default The Human Desire to Get High (Psychology, Drug use and Mental Health)

I highly recommend reading about;

*Ronald K. Siegel, he stated that the urge to alter one's consciousness is as primary as the drive to satiate thirst, hunger or sexual desire.

*John C Lilly also used to do lots (and lots) of swimming with dolphins, whilst on Ketamine and LSD, which he believes helped him connect to the animals in a completely unique and extremely close way, communicating with them in ways that (open minded) scientists envied.

*Sigmund Freud noted the theraputic use of Cocaine, which was very controversial, but then again everything Freud proved was controversial as no-one wanted to hear the truth .. Just like Professor Nutt, who was sacked as head drugs advisor to the UK government after he proved that MDMA was safer than horse-riding, and that drugs such as LSD, MDMA and Cannabis should not be illegal substances as they are even less harmless to people than alcohol and cigarettes (mainly due to the lack of addiction). The government hated the fact that science proved their laws wrong and sacked him! What is the point in employing an adviser if you don't want any advice?!?!

Recently, research in Zurich took place implementing small doses of drugs such as LSD, Shrooms and Ketamine for psychosis, as it has been well known for a long time that even when experiencing a bad trip (which is nearly always much, MUCH worse than a bad trip 'mentally healthy' people may undergo) can improve the patients outlook on life, once sober. This is because most people suffering from severe depression, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia (etc) bottle up their problems, thoughts and paranoia, which whilst under the influence of psychadelic substances (in SMALL doses) tend to face their fear and release their thoughts, seeing their problems in a 'new light'. A bad trip can be just as helpful to some people because it proves to the patient that they are not in as much pain as their consider themselves to be in, like how when you are ill you may spend the following day being particularly careful and holding the 'I never ever want to experience that again' mentality.

If you think your ill, you will probably make yourself ill.

Just like when people think they are having heart problems after taking something like MDMA, something you would not think was happening (despite the same pain the chest) if you had taken, lets say, multivitamins. The more you worry, the more you are likely to suffer. Many people end up CAUSING panic attacks and even heart attacks whilst worrying about (for example); what they believe to be a shortness of breath, which is only happening as you have just taken a dose of a hugely stimulant drug, so of course you are out of breath!. Equally, by concentrating on your pulse-rate you can often elevate it.

A large amount of solvable mental illness is treated with 'facing the fear'. For example; people with OCD are made to do what they avoid, or avoid what they do, on a regular basis, eventually eliminating the brains habit. Remember, things don't take long to develop, but they take a long time to reverse, just like weight, laziness, post-traumatic stress etc...

Peace

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 102 For This Useful Post:

Rigmarole (08-10-2011)

Thanks

Recently, research in Zurich took place implementing small doses of drugs such as LSD, Shrooms and Ketamine for psychosis, as it has been well known for a long time that even when experiencing a bad trip (which is nearly always much, MUCH worse than a bad trip 'mentally healthy' people may undergo) can improve the patients outlook on life, once sober. This is because most people suffering from severe depression, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia (etc) bottle up their problems, thoughts and paranoia, which whilst under the influence of psychadelic substances (in SMALL doses) tend to face their fear and release their thoughts, seeing their problems in a 'new light'. A bad trip can be just as helpful to some people because it proves to the patient that they are not in as much pain as their consider themselves to be in, like how when you are ill you may spend the following day being particularly careful and holding the 'I never ever want to experience that again' mentality.
    I had a mind meltingly horrible trip for about 4 hours on a certain fungi about a year ago and I totally believe this statement. Mind melting only begins to describe my experience but needless to say I spent most of the night crying under a futon while my best friend in college was eating a cherry pepsi can on top of the refrigerator.

I guess you could say it was bad. But I totally agree with this because I found myself on a whole other level mentally when I sobered up the next day. I felt kinder, more appreciative, and worked harder for months. It still remains as one of the most positive and one of the single most impactful experiences of my life.

Just because it is in your head, doesn't make it any less real. Haven't had fungi since, but I intend to again sometime.
    2006 Yamaha YZF1000 - 2008 Dodge Challenger
    Anthony F.

Thanks

I've always tried to use psys to help with problems. Glad to see other tried to think the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deven View Post
    Poisoned is very harmless and every one knows this reality and still in the world suicide with poison is increasing and there is the government taking any action.

Thanks

That's some great info! If only everyone would read that then maybe they would relax instead of thinking about dangers of using certain substances which like what's said here could cause a bad experience.

Thanks

Default Receptors

Why would humans have opiate receptors if not to enjoy opiates?
    CB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CardinalBlue View Post
    Why would humans have opiate receptors if not to enjoy opiates?
    To moderate brain function?
    Poisoned is very harmless and every one knows this reality and still in the world suicide with poison is increasing and there is the government taking any action.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dale07 View Post
    I believe that drugs are helpful but the problem is a lot of people are getting addicted to it. It is always not good if we're "abusing" everything.
    Change your signature. No advertising here.

Also; stuff like meth and heroin are really to addicting to be much use, unless there are some extraneous circumstances.

Thanks

I'd have to say I have permanently gained something from having bad trips, and it's for the better. Long ago, tripping was my hobby -- it was what I did or looked to do when I wasn't working the night shift. On average, I probably tripped about twice a month for 4 years or so. The first couple of years were wonderful, memorable trips filled with friends, goofiness, and innocence. The latter two years, and especially the last year, my trips were characterized by loneliness, fear, depression, paranoia, and all those things that make a bad trip exactly that. There was no "new light" the next day or anything like that. Why I kept doing it despite having consistently bad experiences I have no idea. I've tripped maybe three or four times in the past 15 years -- none were terribly memorable experiences, but they were no where near as bad as the ones I had toward the end of my heyday. Nowadays, I look back on a year's worth of bad trips and can see the circumstances that fed them. Tripping alone was the major contributor; it's generally good to have someone you trust around when you decide to dissolve your ego in chemicals. My life at the time did not generally allow for companionship during trips. Living in an ultraviolent gang neighborhood in Albuquerque was another factor -- no amount of that incredible stuff eaten (and probably manufactured) by the Sandia Labs innovators can totally get you out of your scary environment. Being separated from friends and family without a social network I could rely upon was yet another. it's easy to regress a series of bad trips on a set of thematic circumstances such as these (loneliness, fear, isolation). Now, most psychonauts would probably say something to the effect of "no shit," but sometimes we have to learn the hard way. And when we learn the hard way, the lessons become much more meaningful. I thank that year's worth of of bad trips for giving me something to reflect upon and providing a deeper understanding of the value of having and maintaining relationships with others.

Thanks

I've done quite a few drugs, some that I'm not proud of. Over the years I've smoked marijuana extensively, used cocaine, ecstasy (cocaine, heroin, and mescalin based), opiates (mostly hydrocodone pills and cough syrup), klonopin, and even huffed gasoline when I was younger. I can honestly say that the only bad drug related experiences I've had was when I was arrested for possession of MJ, and the time that I got a crappy batch of ecstasy that made me puke every time. I've never formed an addiction, done anything I regretted later, or had a bad trip (then again, gasoline was the only hallucinogen that I've done). Useful information? Not according to the people that matter.

Thanks

Try mush or acid if you can: MIND BLOWING.

Also, you got balls; I've never even wanted to touch solvents.