PDA

View Full Version : Turning crushed kratom leaf into powder

ShaggyMaengDa
04-11-2009, 07:56 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bigles
04-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Hey shaggy - did it with maeng da with a reasonable degree of success using a pestel and mortar and a kitchen sieve, but it still wasn't anywhere near as fine as the powders. I have since invested in a coffee grinder and would imagine that would be much more effective. Depends how fine you want it really.

Bigles
04-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah shaggy it was fine to swallow so long as I put it through the sieve - that removed the twigs and shit as they seem impossible to grind. I ran it through this process a couple of times which was a bit of a pain but well worth it.

Bali Muncher Jim
04-11-2009, 09:08 PM
I had 500g's in leaf form once (ordered by mistake) the first 20g killed my smoothy maker the twiggs got wrapped round the motor and burnt it out. I did the same as u Bigles with the mortar and p. Then I used a tea strainer and my finger and rubbed it though which got it pretty fine, but I took about a hour to do 10g, painfull.

Bigles
04-11-2009, 09:26 PM
I had 500g's in leaf form once (ordered by mistake) the first 20g killed my smoothy maker the twiggs got wrapped round the motor and burnt it out. I did the same as u Bigles with the mortar and p. Then I used a tea strainer and my finger and rubbed it though which got it pretty fine, but I took about a hour to do 10g, painfull.

Shit man that would hurt - I use the pestle bit (is that the one you use to grind with or is it the mortar?) to push through the sieve.

Bali Muncher Jim
04-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Haha, yeah my fingers were quite sore. Handy if your trying to toughen up your skin for playing guitar.

Bali Muncher Jim
04-11-2009, 09:48 PM
So what did you do with the rest of it then? Work at it for two days solid?:D

Stuck it in a draw and ordered some more! Then used it as my running out supply, one evening I must have spent almost 5 hours grinding it - never ever buy leaf.

Bali Muncher Jim
04-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Surely one of those little coffee grinders would work. I mean, kratom can't be as hard as coffee beans surely?

Actually one of those would be perfect, how do you reckon the vendors do it? In a kenwood chef thingy. I remember the day the leaf arrived, I was dead excited and when I opened it a realize I cocked up I sat and stared at it for a hour mortified!

Bigles
04-11-2009, 10:25 PM
A coffee grinder can handle cactus from what I am told, so kratom should be easy I would think.

ps a weed grinder could also be useful but slow!

Bali Muncher Jim
04-11-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm tempted to try these guys next time I can order.

In their write up about kratom they say:

"Fainting may occur, particularly when standing up too quickly"

Not heard that one before.

TheNorthKingdom
05-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Why do you wanna turn leaf into powder anyway?

stux
05-12-2009, 06:11 PM
It's generally easier to get down, and speeds up the 'come up' time when it's in a powder. I've got an adapter for a hand blender that works really well for chopping stuff up, never tried a dried leaf but can get through most things in the kitchen no problem.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HR1363-Blender-Chopper-Accessory/dp/B000LYSSWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1242151710&sr=1-1

The lab at uni I used to work in had a auto-sieve machine that would have been prefect for getting rid of the the stems. It vibrates at a really high frequency to shake the stuff through, with sieves ranging from about 10mm to 20micrometres. Don't know how I would have explained what I was sieving if anyone asked though. :D